Situated in a hill overlooking the valley of the Trove, the village of Badia Agnano, overlay a role of pre-eminence in a large territory which included Valdambra, Valdarno, Valdichiana and Senese due to the role that over the time had the abbey of Santa Maria Agnano.
Founded before 1000 by the powerful noble family of Ubertini, then it became an important ecclesiastical fief with control over numerous churches in the surrounding area.
First benedectine, then camaldolese, it saw a large number of priors and figures of the highest level in the religious administration, including the future holy bishop of Milano Carlo Borromeo, whom, after a profound decline that invested monasticism, understanding the needs of a reform give back the abbey to the camaldolese order, which will endure until the Napoleonic suppression.
Nowadays the church, the parsonage and the little church of the company, while the rest has become a civilian residence, remain to be a part of the original abbey complex.
The church, originally named to Santa Maria, is an example of Romanesque architecture in well-aligned and squared alberese stone, reflecting the spiritual and austere style of the camaldolese congregation.
The restoration, done in 2003, brought the church back to its original splendor allowing to appreciate the vault dedicated to Santa Maria, a fine wooden crucifix and a baptismal font on which the camaldolese coat of arms is still visible: two doves that drink in the same goblet.
Between alleys and arches, is possible admire the current Badia Agnano, which has been able to keep the past and the present with a special eye on, leaving unaltered the local architectures, clearly visible.
In the main square of the village, still today a meeting place where in the shade of a linden tree is possible rest on the low stone wall of the old water well, still equipped with the outlet openings and the oscillating arm of the pump on which it is easy to read the date 1899.
In the ancient Badia, reachable from Via Trento, there are important elements such as the entrance door and the ancient city wall, to surround the typical village is a landscape showing an uncontaminated nature, characterize by vineyards, white roads and woods of oaks, in particular the pinewood of Poggio Gaeta easily reachable on foot.
During Summer the village comes alive with numerous events, occasions for tasting local wines and local products and to experience moments of conviviality and festivity, such as “Borgo d’Estate” and “Borgo d’Autunno” and in the traditional “Palio delle Botti”, medieval challenge which consists in making roll through the streets of the village a barrel, a typical cylindrical wooden container used principally for wine.
For more information on the program of initiatives and events visit the website of Bucine’s municipality www.comune.bucine.ar.it/turismo