The village of San Pancrazio is over a spur between Valdambra and Valdichiana. San Pancrazio, as others castles and villages in this land, passed under the control of the Florentine Republic in 1350. Today, of such medieval fortresses, nothing remains.
Podestà count Pierangeli moved his offices in his own palace in San Pancrazio. The palace, dating back XVII century, was partially destroyed by German soldiers on 29 june1944: in one of its cellars they killed 55 people, almost all living there. Wives and mothers who escaped the massacre, thanks to their strength and courage, succeeded in keeping the village alive and making it a welcoming place. Today, here, thanks to public administration’s efforts, a Museum of Memory and a Digital Archive came to life, so that facts narrated by survivors could find a historical documentation and make a concrete commitment in order to preserve the historical memory.
In the adjacent building, bought and restored by the municipal administration, stands the intercultural Center “Don Giuseppe Torelli”: priest of the community he was himself victim of the massacre. In the garden behind the building a rose garden has been planted in memory of the civilians; each rose bush has a plaque which recalls all people engraved on it. In the upper part of the garden a big marble statue by Firenze Poggi looks towards the horizon and on the lectern bears the inscription: “Here, in eternal memory of the horrible deeds of history, in the place marked by tragedy, a mother affirms life like a lighthouse in the rose garden... towards the valley”.
The soul recovers its tranquillity by turning the view into the countryside around the village, lost into natural landscapes, or by sitting and listening to one of the numerous cultural and musical events organized by the Municipality and local associations, as the International festival “Il Roseto della Musica” (the rose garden of music).